Sunday, April 17, 2005

Open-source WYSIWYG editors: not quite there yet?

I'm looking for a free HTML editor suitable for end-users that are less comfortable entering html in a textarea. The most advanced open-source projects that fit this description seem to be xinha, a fork of the discontinued HTMLArea, and FCKEditor. Both suffer from problems with corrupting the browser history; bug reports are here and here (and here too). I note though that blogger's proprietary editor doesn't have this problem.

Breaking my back button is a serious usability problem. I note that both of these projects have huge amounts of features, far more than Blogger does. This would actually be a drawback to me if I were to deploy one, since I'd have to figure how to turn all the bloat off. Perhaps a project that focused less on features and more on usability could succeed better here.

(Please, if there's one out there that I missed, point me to it.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Tinymce ( tinymce).

Very easy to integrate, very easy to strip-down ...

Martijn Faassen said...

Though it does have a lot of features too,
you might be interested in checking out Kupu:

http://kupu.oscom.org

Tim Parkin said...

I'll second tinymce. We've integrated into our projects without changing the source code. No history problems (which are what makes htmlarea just about useless). Kupu does also look really interesting aswell although if my memory serves me, it was a little difficult to customise to our needs. That doesn't mean it may not be perfect for yours however.

Jonathan Ellis said...

I will check those out. Thanks!

Jason Bunting said...

Check out FreeTextBox at http://www.FreeTextBox.com. They have a free version and another that costs something like $50.

Ian Bicking said...

I haven't looked closely at TinyMCE, but I was fairly happy with HTMLArea in the past, and am planning to use Xinha in the future -- my biggest problem with HTMLArea was the opaque development methodology, which is exactly why Xinha exists.