Skip to main content

Thinkpad 420s review

In the last three years my primary machines have run OS X, Linux, Windows, OS X, and now Windows again, in that order. The observant reader may note, "That's a lot of machines in three years." It is, but I also changed jobs twice in that time frame, so that's part of it. Another part is that I'm a bit rough with laptops; the two mac machines broke badly enough that AppleCare told me they weren't going to help. The Dell and Lenovo machines, though, outlasted my use of them. For this most recent machine, I had several requirements and several nice-to-haves, some of which were in tension. Requirements:
  • Able to drive a 30" external monitor
  • At least 8GB of RAM
  • At least 1440x900 native resolution
Nice to have:
  • Smaller than my 15" macbook pro, which is too large to use comfortably in coach on an airplane
  • Larger screen than my wife's 13.3" mbp
  • A "real" cpu, not the underclocked ones in the Macbook Airs
  • A graphics card that can do justice to Starcraft II
I wasn't picky about my operating system. Linux is by far the best experience for software development, but support for multiple monitors is still dicey, which is bad when you're relying on it to give presentations on unfamiliar projectors. OS X is superficially unix-y but lack of package management means in practice it's not really any better than Windows. Windows is ... Windows, although I'm pretty fond of the new-in-Windows-7 window management keyboard shortcuts. But fundamentally I spend 99% of my time in an IDE, a web browser, hipchat, and IRC, all of which are cross-platform. MSYS gives me about as much of the unix experience on Windows, as I got on OS X. (And ninite gives me more of a package manager than I had on OS X--granted, that isn't saying much.)
I ended up buying a 14" Thinkpad 420s. I think the S stands for "slim," and it is. My 15" mbp looks and weighs like a ton of bricks next to it, even after I swapped out the Thinkpad's dvd drive for the supplementary battery module, which weighs a little more. The Thinkpad's legendary keyboard lives up to its reputation, and I'm a huge fan of the trackpoint living right there on the home row of the keyboard, for when keyboard shortcuts aren't easily available. The cooling is excellent without the fans ever getting loud.
For the most part, I'm extremely happy with the hardware. There are two exceptions:
  • The built-in microphone is terrible. Almost without exception, people have trouble hearing me over Skype. Adding insult to injury, there is no mic input. I thought at first the headphone jack was a phone-style out-plus-in jack, but no. I'll have to get a USB mic.
  • Optimus doesn't work in one important respect: in optimus mode it won't drive my 30" monitor at full resolution; it picks something weird like 2048x1560 instead. Lenovo said they were going to fix this but hasn't, yet. To drive this monitor correctly I have to lock it to discrete graphics in the bios. In discrete mode it gets about 2h 45m battery life even with the CPU downclocked and the display dim. So when I travel, I reboot to integrated graphics.
The main alternative I considered was the Sony Vaio Z. Ironically, I ended up going with the Thinkpad mostly because Vaio reviewers consistently called out how terrible its built-in speakers were... so I ended up with a system with a terrible mic instead.
On the software side, I'm more than happy with Windows, especially after the Steam holiday sale. I hadn't realized how many fantastic indie games are available these days. (Most recently, I highly recommend Bastion.)
The one fly in my soup is that I'd anticipated being able to run OS X in a VM for the sake of Keynote. Neither Google Docs presentations, Open/Libre Office Impress, or Powerpoint are adequate replacements. Unfortunately, the Core Image (?) APIs used by Keynote don't work under virtualization, so for now I'm still using my old mbp to create presentations, and taking them on the road with me as pdf.

Comments

DarthTrader said…
Hi, is it possible to use 2 or more external monitors with the notebook.
Thx, Holger.
I have the w520 and had similar microphone issues. Have you tried setting the VoIP call settings to "Optimize my microphone for Multiple voices"? That fixed it for me.
Jonathan Ellis said…
Thanks, Thomas. That does help!

Popular posts from this blog

Why schema definition belongs in the database

Earlier, I wrote about how ORM developers shouldn't try to re-invent SQL . It doesn't need to be done, and you're not likely to end up with an actual improvement. SQL may be designed by committee, but it's also been refined from thousands if not millions of man-years of database experience. The same applies to DDL. (Data Definition Langage -- the part of the SQL standard that deals with CREATE and ALTER.) Unfortunately, a number of Python ORMs are trying to replace DDL with a homegrown Python API. This is a Bad Thing. There are at least four reasons why: Standards compliance Completeness Maintainability Beauty Standards compliance SQL DDL is a standard. That means if you want something more sophisticated than Emacs, you can choose any of half a dozen modeling tools like ERwin or ER/Studio to generate and edit your DDL. The Python data definition APIs, by contrast, aren't even compatibile with other Python tools. You can't take a table definition

Python at Mozy.com

At my day job, I write code for a company called Berkeley Data Systems. (They found me through this blog, actually. It's been a good place to work.) Our first product is free online backup at mozy.com . Our second beta release was yesterday; the obvious problems have been fixed, so I feel reasonably good about blogging about it. Our back end, which is the most algorithmically complex part -- as opposed to fighting-Microsoft-APIs complex, as we have to in our desktop client -- is 90% in python with one C extension for speed. We (well, they, since I wasn't at the company at that point) initially chose Python for speed of development, and it's definitely fulfilled that expectation. (It's also lived up to its reputation for readability, in that the Python code has had 3 different developers -- in serial -- with very quick ramp-ups in each case. Python's succinctness and and one-obvious-way-to-do-it philosophy played a big part in this.) If you try it out, pleas

A review of 6 Python IDEs

(March 2006: you may also be interested the updated review I did for PyCon -- http://spyced.blogspot.com/2006/02/pycon-python-ide-review.html .) For September's meeting, the Utah Python User Group hosted an IDE shootout. 5 presenters reviewed 6 IDEs: PyDev 0.9.8.1 Eric3 3.7.1 Boa Constructor 0.4.4 BlackAdder 1.1 Komodo 3.1 Wing IDE 2.0.3 (The windows version was tested for all but Eric3, which was tested on Linux. Eric3 is based on Qt, which basically means you can't run it on Windows unless you've shelled out $$$ for a commerical Qt license, since there is no GPL version of Qt for Windows. Yes, there's Qt Free , but that's not exactly production-ready software.) Perhaps the most notable IDEs not included are SPE and DrPython. Alas, nobody had time to review these, but if you're looking for a free IDE perhaps you should include these in your search, because PyDev was the only one of the 3 free ones that we'd consider using. And if you aren